How To Remove A Car Battery: An Easy Guide
The battery in your Chevy helps you start the engine seamlessly every time, provides power to the electrical components, and keeps the vehicle charged by powering the alternator. If you find it’s time to remove and replace your car battery, find out how with our handy guide to how to remove a car battery in Metairie below! Have questions along the way? Just reach out to our service team!
Preparation For Removing A Car Battery
Since batteries have enough power to start your vehicle and take you where you need to go near New Orleans and Gretna, it stands to reason that they also have enough power to deliver a powerful shock to you! Then, turn off your car. Following that, here are some precautions to take:
- Work in a well-ventilated area so you prevent exposing yourself to harmful gases.
- Make sure you’re being safe and careful when removing your battery by wearing insulated gloves and safety goggles to protect yourself from electric shock and corrosive agents.
- Make sure you keep all battery cables in their place so they don’t touch each other. If they touch, it creates sparks that are a fire hazard.
- To help prevent the battery cables from touching, cover the end of the positive cable with thick cloth or rubber.
- Remove necklaces, watches, bracelets, and other metal items to mitigate the risk of electric shock.
One important note: you may need to use a special battery cable removal tool if the terminal is fused. You can usually find these at dealership parts departments around Westbank like ours.
Learn The Battery Removal Process
After taking the right precautions, you’re now ready to learn the battery removal process as outlined below:
- Locate the negative terminal of your battery. It should be covered with a black plastic cover with a minus (-) sign.
- Remove the battery terminal cover. With a wrench or pliers, take hold of the bolt head of the negative terminal, then keep it in place.
- Use pliers or a wrench to remove the nut, and then pull off the negative cable and move it away from the battery itself.
- Repeat those steps for the positive cable, which should have a red cover and positive (+) sign. Make sure the cables do not touch!
- Some batteries are held into the vehicle with a securing bracket, If yours is, use pliers or a wrench to take out the screws and bolts that keep it held in place.
- Lift the battery out of the bracket. Keep in mind that it could weigh up to 40 pounds.
- If you plan to replace your battery, now is the time to do so.
Find Out More About Removing A Car Battery With Leson Chevrolet
Still have questions about how to remove your car battery or about any other service task? Here at the Leson Chevrolet service center and parts center, we’re committed to helping you and all other Marrero and Westbank area drivers with all your inquiries!
More From Leson Chevrolet Company, Inc.
The truck life in Metairie and New Orleans demands a pickup truck that can handle the turf. That’s why we’re big fans of the 2020 Chevy Silverado, which combines Chevy engineering with the power you need to get through Marrero comfortably. Leson Chevrolet is going to walk you through the Chevy Silverado price and point…
Searching for a new truck near New Orleans that’s capable of almost anything you throw its way? Maybe you’re more interested in finding the most luxurious pickup available. Either way, the new Chevy Silverado 1500 delivers. Equal parts powerful, capable, and refined, the new Silverado comes in eight unique configurations, ensuring there’s one that’s right…
The Chevy Equinox is very popular with our customers at Leson Chevrolet. Who can blame them? Who wouldn’t want to be seen behind the wheel of this gorgeous SUV, cruising through Harvey? We love the Chevrolet Equinox interior features, and the wide choice of 2020 Chevy Equinox colors that are available provide an option for anyone’s taste. Let’s talk…